Canso Islands National Historic Site lies .5 km (.3 mi.) off the waterfront. A visitor center at 1465 Union St. offers views of Grassy Island Fort National Historic Site. The fort became the object of bitter feuding between the French and British until it was destroyed and abandoned abruptly in 1744. The visitor center features artifacts, dioramas and an audiovisual presentation. A boat ferries visitors to Grassy Island.