Ottawa House By-The-Sea Museum is 6 km (4 mi.) s.e. via Main St. at 1155 Whitehall Rd. It is believed to be the one of the oldest buildings in the province. This sole remnant of the original Partridge Island settlement was built as an inn in the late 1700s by James Ratchford, a prominent trader. Sir Charles Tupper, prime minister of Canada in 1896, bought Ottawa House as his summer retreat and hosted many visiting dignitaries here.
Museum exhibits include maritime artifacts, a collection of shipbuilding tools, and photographs of vessels launched from local shipyards.
Note: Continued restoration work is ongoing but the house remains open to visitors.