Cathedral (Catedral de Oaxaca) faces the n. side of the Zócalo. Begun in 1563, the church was completed about 2 centuries later. Although severely damaged by earthquakes, the rebuilt cathedral, which is constructed of the native greenish stone, still reflects much of its original grandeur. The clock, its works made of wood, was presented by a Spanish king. The facade and central panel above the door are fine examples of baroque craftsmanship.