AAA Editor Notes
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, 714 N. Portage Path, is considered one of the finest examples of Tudor Revival architecture in the country. It was built 1912-15 for Frank A. Seiberling, co-founder of Goodyear and founder of Seiberling Rubber companies. The 65-room manor house contains art treasures from around the world. Features include an impressive music room and the three-story Great Hall. The Gate Lodge near the front gate was originally the estate superintendent's home. It was in the Gate Lodge that the first discussion of what would become Alcoholics Anonymous took place. An exhibit highlights the historic event.
Self-guiding and 1.25-hour guided tours are offered. The 1.5-hour Nooks & Crannies Manor House Tour takes visitors to additional areas of the house, including the domestic and service areas. The property also offers a restored English garden, a Japanese garden, a lagoon and scenic vistas. The 2.5-hour Grand Estate Tour includes the house and garden. The Corbin Conservatory houses a tropical garden, “Garden Under Glass.”
Guided tours are available. Food is available.