AAA Editor Notes
Dayton National Cemetery, 4400 W. Third St., was established in 1867. The focal point of the grounds is the 1877 Soldiers' Monument, which is comprised of a 30-foot marble column topped with a statue of a soldier. It stretches high above a buried time capsule, and at the base stand four statues of soldiers representing the Artillery, the Cavalry, the Infantry and the Navy. Not far from the monument is a carillon tower.