Historic Kirtland is at jct. SR 306 and SR 615 (Chillicothe Rd.) The village interprets the history of Kirtland and the Mormon Church in America. In the 1830s Joseph Smith Jr., leader and first president of the Mormon Church, established church headquarters at Kirtland. Meticulously restored structures—such as Newel K. and Elizabeth Ann Whitney Home, Johnson Inn, the 1826 Newel K. Whitney Store, an ashery, a sawmill, a schoolhouse—and two farms convey the history of the community.
Guided tours are available.