AAA Editor Notes
Fort Washita, 15 mi. e. to 3348 SR 199E, is a 150-acre site containing the well-preserved, partially restored remains of a Native American fort built in 1842. The Chickasaws and Choctaws used the fort for protection from the Plains Indians, as did pioneers traveling westward. It was last occupied by the Confederate Army during the Civil War. A small museum includes dioramas and artifacts from the site.
Picnicking is permitted. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.