AAA Editor Notes
Fort Gibson Historic Site is n. of US 62 on SR 80, following signs to 907 N. Garrison Ave. The fort was occupied by the U.S. Army 1824-90. Reconstructed in 1936, the site includes a visitor center, walking trails and a museum with exhibits about local history. The barracks, stockade with exhibits and a historic timeline of the site and 13 original buildings can be seen. On July 4th a living history program features costumed interpreters and visitors reading the Declaration of Independence.
Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.