AAA Editor Notes
Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum, is at 620 Harvey Ave. The site includes a museum and an outdoor symbolic memorial built in remembrance of the victims, survivors and rescuers of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building bombing on Apr. 19, 1995.
Twin gates, marking the east and west entrances to the memorial, represent 9:01 and 9:03, the minutes before and after the tragedy. Each of the 168 lives lost is represented by a chair made of bronze, stone and glass. The plot used for the field of chairs is the same size and configuration as the blueprint of the destroyed building. The memorial also has a reflecting pool; a special area for children; and the Survivor Tree, an American elm dating back to 1927 that miraculously withstood the blast.
The memorial museum is housed in the former Journal Record Building that also withstood the bombing. Interactive galleries serve as a timeline of the event, from the first exhibit depicting everyday morning activities in Oklahoma City through the last exhibit about hope for the future. Audio from a hearing being conducted across the street provides the sounds of the explosion and the resulting panic and confusion. Media coverage of the event is shown, as the story moves from rescue and recovery to investigation and capture. The Gallery of Honor is a tribute to the 168 lives lost. A glass overlook provides a view of the downtown skyline and the outdoor memorial.