AAA Editor Notes
Fort Malden National Historic Site, 1 blk. w. of CR 20 at 100 Laird Ave., following signs, was built on the Detroit River after the British surrender of Detroit in 1796. A principal Upper Canada frontier post for about 50 years, it was a rallying point for the British in the 1812 attack on Detroit. After the 1813 Battle of Lake Erie, the fort was burned and abandoned and then occupied by an invading U.S. force. It was evacuated by the Americans and restored by the British in 1815. Garrisoned again by detachments of British regiments, it was an important base during the Patriots' Rebellion of 1837-38.
Earthworks, restored barracks from 1819 and two exhibition buildings can be seen; of interest are original military documents and artifacts. A video presentation is shown; a resource library and archives are available by appointment.