Bell Homestead National Historic Site, 5 km (3 mi.) s.w. on Mt. Pleasant Rd., then .5 km (.3 mi.) s. at 94 Tutela Heights Rd., is the former homestead of Alexander Graham Bell and his family, and the site where the inventor conceived the idea of the telephone in 1874. Restored to the 1870s period, the house includes a working kitchen and an extensive collection of Bell family artifacts. The grounds of the homestead are being restored to reflect the 19th-century country setting.
Next door in the Henderson House are the first Canadian telephone business office, a restored 1930s telephone exchange and displays of early telephones.