AAA Editor Notes
Old Fort Erie is on the Niagara Pkwy. 1.6 km (.9 mi.) s. of the Peace Bridge; take the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) Central Ave. exit. Originally built in 1764, the fort was damaged by flooding and ice in 1779 and destroyed by a storm in 1802. A second fort begun in 1804 was still incomplete when war broke out in 1812. While garrisoned by only 170 British in July 1814, it was captured by 4,500 Americans under Gen. Jacob Brown, who strengthened the fort, defended it against assault and later abandoned it.
Restored in 1939, Old Fort Erie is an impressive structure with a dry ditch, drawbridge, bastions and guns typical of early 19th-century fortifications. It contains relics of the War of 1812 and equipment used by the British and American armies.
Battle re-enactments take place the second weekend in August.
Guided tours are available.