AAA Editor Notes
Martyrs' Shrine, e. edge of town on Hwy. 12, was built in 1926 as a testimony to the faith of the Jesuit missionaries who labored among the Huron people 1625-50. It is a tribute to the eight pioneers who met death by martyrdom and to the Christian Hurons who accepted the faith, lived it and died for it. Among the Canadian martyrs were fathers Jean de Brébeuf and Gabriel Lalemant.
On the grounds are a prayer garden, a papal altar and a museum with a video theater. A lookout affords an excellent view of Georgian Bay, the Wye River and a nearby lake.
Picnicking is permitted. Food is available.