Fort George National Historic Site is on the s. edge of town on Queens Parade Rd. Built 1796-99, the fort was the district's main British post until its 1813 capture and occupation by American forces. The British retook the fort, but abandoned it in the early 1820s. The reconstructed fort houses officers' quarters, soldiers' barracks, the guard house, magazine, kitchen and artificer's shop. Parks Canada interpreters bring history to life.