Buxton National Historic Site & Museum, 21975 A.D. Shadd Rd. (CR 6), has a museum and buildings that were part of the last stop on the Underground Railroad that helped American slaves to freedom in Canada before the Civil War. Then known as the Elgin Settlement, the historically black community was founded by Rev. William King in 1849; the museum preserves artifacts and items belonging to him. An 1861 schoolhouse and an 1857 cemetery are on the grounds. A research library is available, and a cultural room displays local art. A video presentation can be viewed by appointment.
Picnicking is permitted.