AAA Editor Notes
Hutchison House Museum, 3 blks. w. of George St. at 270 Brock St., was built by the community 1836-37 for pioneer physician Dr. John Hutchison. Furnished in period, the house has medical instruments, books, kitchen items and historical and herb gardens. Hutchison's cousin Sandford Fleming, chief surveying engineer of the Canadian Pacific Railway, originated the idea of standard time. The room where Fleming stayed while in Peterborough has surveying equipment and maps.
Guides in 1840 period costumes offer tours, and baking and cooking demonstrations are given on an open hearth.
Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.