AAA Editor Notes
Fort Wellington National Historic Site, on Hwy. 2 along the St. Lawrence River, encompasses the 1812 fort, erected to defend the St. Lawrence River route during the War of 1812. Construction of the fort was spurred on after its garrison captured two American fortifications in Ogdensburg, N.Y., just across the river. Never besieged, the fort was abandoned shortly after the war. A second Fort Wellington was built in 1838 on the ruins of the first.
The fort consists of three original structures surrounded by earthworks, a palisade and a dry ditch. The stone blockhouse has walls more than a metre (39 in.) thick and is pierced with loopholes. The first and second floors have been furnished to the 1846 period. The officers' quarters and latrine also are restored.
An interesting feature is the caponnière, a stone defensive work in the south moat connected to the fort by a tunnel. Special events are presented throughout the summer. A visitor center is on the grounds. Costumed interpreters demonstrate drills and military tactics typical of an early 19th-century garrison.