AAA Editor Notes
Ermatinger/Clergue Heritage Site, 800 Bay St., is typical of early Canadian architecture. The 1814 restored house of French fur trader and North West Co. officer Charles Ermatinger and his Ojibway wife contains period furnishings and household articles. The Clergue Blockhouse, on the site of an early 19th-century North West Co. powder magazine, was the home of industrialist Francis Clergue. Costumed interpreters conduct cooking, baking and 19th-century crafts demonstrations in a reconstructed summer kitchen. The new Heritage Discovery Centre at the entrance to the site provides historical perspective through displays and information panels.