AAA Editor Notes
Fort St. Joseph National Historic Site is on the southern tip of the island via Hwy. 548. Within the 320-hectare (920-acre) site are the ruins of the fort, built in 1796 to protect the fur trade and consolidate British influence in the Upper Great Lakes area. Once the westernmost post of the British in Canada, the fort was described as the “Military Siberia of Upper Canada.” Fort St. Joseph was vital to the British during the War of 1812, but it was burned by American forces in 1814.
Film presentations about archeology and the fur trade are offered at the visitor center, which also houses historical and archeological exhibits. An animal sanctuary and nature trails are on the site.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted.