AAA Editor Notes
Avery Park and Natural Area is 2 mi. s.e. on Philomath Blvd. (US 20/SR 34), then just s. on 15th St. Named for Corvallis founder Joseph Avery, the 75-acre park borders Marys River. A 1-mile trail follows the river's riparian border. Just inside the park's 15th St. entrance, the Corvallis Rose Society Memorial Garden contains some 1,200 bushes and more than 250 varieties; its blossoming season extends from May through October.
Nearby, the Applegate Trail Interpretive Center offers displays describing the trail from the times of Native Americans to Corvallis' settlement. A 1922 Baldwin locomotive and tender are displayed in the eastern part of the park.
Picnicking is permitted. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.