Schmidt House Museum, 508 S.W. 5th St. at jct. S.W. J St., is a 1901 Craftsman-style structure built for the family of pioneer businessman and local grocery merchant Claus Schmidt. The home was occupied by two generations of the Schmidt family until 1978, when it was donated to the Josephine County Historical Society. Claus Schmidt's hand-crafted cabinets as well as clothing, family heirlooms, a blue enamel wood-burning kitchen stove and turn-of-the-20th-century children's toys, including a regiment of paper soldiers, are displayed. The historical society's research library is next door to the museum.
Note: All visitors must first check in at the historical society's library to gain admittance to the museum.