AAA Editor Notes
The Ambler Arboretum of Temple University, 580 Meetinghouse Rd., features about a dozen garden areas and a greenhouse. The site was once part of the Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women, which was founded in 1910. It merged with Temple University in 1958. Among the gardens are several buildings from the former school; most are from the early 1900s, but the first dormitory/classroom building dates to the 1700s. Gravel walkways meander through the gardens. Highlights include the formal perennial garden and the woodland gardens. The latter was planted in the 1920s by the school's students and staff; its focus is trees—beech, dogwood, sycamore and tulip—many of which are tall enough to provide shade, but there are flowers and shrubs as well.
Maps for self-guided tours are available in garden kiosks and in the welcome center. Guided tours available by reservation.
Time: Allow 1 hour, 30 minutes minimum.