Fort Mifflin, jct. Fort Mifflin and Hog Island rds., was built in 1771 by the British to protect the Colonies. Ironically, during the Revolutionary War, Americans used the fort to prevent the occupying British army from receiving supplies, a delay that allowed General Washington to establish winter quarters in Valley Forge. The fort also was garrisoned for the war of 1912, was a federal prison during the Civil War and was used as a munitions depot until it was decommissioned in 1854. The 14 structures on-site date to 1778-1875. Interpretive guides in Revolutionary or Civil War attire are available some weekends. Living history events are held throughout the year.
Picnicking is permitted.