AAA Editor Notes
Franklin Court, between 3rd, 4th, Chestnut and Market sts. within Independence National Historical Park, was once owned by Benjamin Franklin. This was his home when he was part of the Continental Congress and Constitutional Convention until his death in 1790. The brick house was demolished in 1812 and there are no records describing the architectural appearance, but the foundation can be seen and a 54-foot-tall steel skeletal structure provides an outline to give visitors a feel for the space it once occupied.
The complex includes the Benjamin Franklin Museum as well as five Market Street houses, the exteriors of which have been restored to period. The buildings contain the refinished Aurora newspaper office historically operated by Franklin's grandson, a working reproduction of an 18th-century printing press and bindery operation and a post office.