Gloria Dei (Old Swedes') Church, Columbus Blvd. at Christian St., is believed to be Pennsylvania's oldest church, as well as the first in Colonial America to use an organ during services. The church—Philadelphia's first brick building—was constructed in 1700, but its congregation was founded earlier, in 1643. The oversized Hook and Hastings organ, with approximately 1,300 pipes, has been in continual use since 1902.
Of special interest are: large models of the two ships that brought the first Swedish colonists to the area that hang suspended from the ceiling; an exact replica of the original 11th-century angel Gabriel found in Gothenburg, Sweden; and a plaque featuring two cherub faces and a bible brought here from Sweden prior to 1646.