President's House Site, 600 Market St. at jct. 6th St. within Independence National Historical Park, is the site of the former residence of Presidents George Washington and John Adams 1790-1800. Although the structure no longer exists, the exhibit “Freedom and Slavery in the Making of a New Nation,” which features video installations, panels and illustrated glass, tells the story of their time here. Archeological fragments unearthed from the site in 2007 can be viewed in a glass enclosure.
The contradiction of Washington's belief in freedom with his use of slaves is pointed out, profiling nearly a dozen of the Africans who worked here. A memorial honors all the enslaved who lived on the grounds. A cellphone audio tour is available.
Note: the attraction is outdoors and offers no shelter from inclement weather.