AAA Editor Notes
The Woodlands, 4000 Woodland Ave., is the former 600-acre estate of William Hamilton. Originally built in the 1740s, Hamilton embarked some 40 years later on a major renovation that more than doubled size of the house and re-created it in the neoclassical style of architects Robert and James Adam. .
Today the property spans 54 acres and is still home to Hamilton’s house and a cemetery that dates back to 1840. Artists Thomas Eakins and Rembrandt Peale are among the more than 30,000 interred. Hamilton’s influence remains as many of the trees and plant varieties once thrived in his English-style garden. The grounds are commonly used as a park and to hold events such as special cemetery tours and craft fairs. House tours are offered.
Rubbings of gravestones are not permitted.
Guided tours are available.