AAA Editor Notes
Point State Park is at the confluence of the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio rivers. The 36-acre park occupies land that was extremely valuable in the mid-18th century. In 1754 the French seized the area from the British, beginning events that led to the French and Indian War. The British regained supremacy in 1758 and one year later erected a new fort, which they named Fort Pitt for William Pitt, prime minister of England and friend of the Colonies. The fort served the frontier for the next three decades in the following struggles: Dunmore's War, Pontiac's Uprising, the Revolutionary War and the Indian wars of the late 18th century.
Fort Pitt Block House and Fort Pitt Museum as well as plaques, markers and other features interpret the history and significance of the area. One of the nation's largest fountains serves as the park's focal point and symbolizes the city's revitalized Golden Triangle. Set at the confluence of the three rivers, the fountain propels plumes of water to heights of 120 feet and is illuminated at night with white lights. It operates daily mid-April through Veterans Day (weather permitting).
Benches around the lawn areas and stone bleachers overlooking the Allegheny River and the North Side provide seating for the park's many outdoor events. Bicycle and footpaths connect to other recreation trails that traverse the city.
Station: Gateway Center
Park daily dawn-dusk.