AAA Editor Notes
French Azilum, 4.3 mi. s. on SR 187, then 3.8 mi. e. on SR 2014 (French Asylum Rd.), following signs, was founded in 1793 as a refuge for French Royalists fleeing the Revolution. About 50 log buildings were erected, none of which still stand. After Napoleon's pardon, many immigrants left the area. Highlights include outbuildings with early Americana, the 1836 LaPorte House containing period furnishings, a 14-minute video about the site's history, three display cabins and scenic grounds.
Guided tours are available. Pet friendly (call for restrictions/fees.). Picnicking is permitted.