Colonial Complex

157 W. Market St.
York, PA 17406- Map It
Phone: (717) 848-1587
Photos
X

AAA Editor Notes

Colonial Complex, 157 W. Market St., is part of York County History Center and consists of restored 18th- and 19th-century buildings and a replica of York's colonial courthouse that are seen by a guided tour. The 1741 half-timbered Golden Plough Tavern housed travelers passing through rural Pennsylvania. The stone circa 1751 General Horatio Gates House is the supposed site where the Marquis de Lafayette gave a toast, which prevented the overthrow of Gen. George Washington as head of the Continental Army. Gen. Gates was the hero of the Battle of Saratoga. The Colonial Court House is a reproduction of the one in which the Second Continental Congress voted to adopt the Articles of Confederation in 1777 during the Congress' 9-month term in York. Guided tours are available.
One-day ticket (includes all open York County History Center sites and museums) $15; $13 (senior citizens and college students, veterans and active military with ID); $7 (students ages 6-18).
Hours: Tours offered Tues.-Sat., Apr.-Nov. Phone ahead to confirm tour schedule. Closed major holidays.