AAA Editor Notes
Bideford Parsonage Museum is at 784 Bideford Rd. (Rte. 166). Built in 1878 as a private residence for Thomas H. Pope, an accountant and telegraph operator, this house became a parsonage for the Methodist Church in 1884. In 1894 Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery boarded here with the parson and his family while she taught at the No. 6 Bideford School.
The yellow Victorian house has been restored to its 1894 appearance and still has much of its original flooring. Period pieces are displayed throughout, including furniture, books, photographs, tools and textiles. The tour includes the foyer; living room (where many weddings were performed); pantry; kitchen; parson's room; shed; exhibition room; and Lucy Maud Montgomery's room, which has a lovely view of the river/bay. A Strawberry Social, with period costumes, games and competitions, as well as strawberry shortcake with tea and lemonade, takes place in late July.
Guided tours are available.