AAA Editor Notes
Wood Islands Lighthouse & Interpretive Museum is off Hwy. 1, 1 km (.6 mi.) s. of the ferry terminal via Lighthouse Rd. This lovely lighthouse stands at the southernmost point on Prince Edward Island. Built in 1876, it still operates while also functioning as a museum that depicts the area's maritime heritage. Displays chronicle the history of early 20th-century rum running and the history of the island's ferry service to Nova Scotia; exhibit rooms include a re-created lighthouse keeper's quarters. Climb to the top of the beacon tower for a 360-degree view that takes in shoreline cliffs and Northumberland Strait.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.