AAA Editor Notes
Church of San Francisco (Templo de San Francisco) is about 6 blks. n.e. of the Zócalo, just off Av. 14 Oriente at the corner of Blvd. Héroes del 5 de Mayo. The oldest church in Puebla was founded in 1535; the present edifice was completed in the 18th century. Its imposing north doorway is a good example of the decorative motif known as plateresque. The facade of brick and colorful rectangular tiles is noteworthy.
Off the main altar is a small chapel with a funerary glass box containing the remains of Franciscan friar Sebastián de Aparicio. Before taking his vows, Fray Sebastián was distinguished as one of New Spain's first road builders. He was beatified for his good deeds and purported miracles, and many worshippers come to pay their respects.