AAA Editor Notes
Forts Loreto and Guadalupe (Fuertes de Loreto y Guadalupe) are in a park about 2 km (1.2 mi.) n.e. of the city center; take Calle 4 Norte to Blvd. 5 de Mayo, then follow Calzada Zaragoza/Calzada de los Fuertes. The remains of Fort Guadalupe stand on a hill (Cerro de Guadalupe) overlooking the city below; only the walls and cannons remain.
Fort Loreto is about a 20-minute walk downhill. The remodeled fort contains the No Intervention Museum (Museo de la No Intervención), which is dedicated to the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, when a force of 4,000 Mexicans led by General Ignacio Zaragoza defeated an army of 6,500 French troops. The museum houses a collection of oil paintings depicting the battle as well as displays of weapons, uniforms, documents and other items related to this important episode in Mexican history. Museum signage is in Spanish.
Also within the park is a monument to the heroes of the battle.
Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.