The Church of Saint Francis of Assisi (La Iglesia de San Francisco de Asís) is on the central plaza at calles Colón and Paz. Completed in 1936, the Church of Saint Francis of Assisi features two towers standing more than 100 feet high. A series of stained glass windows adorns the interior. Franciscan friars built the first monastery on this site in 1516, but it was destroyed by Carib Indians. A later church was leveled by the earthquake of 1918.