AAA Editor Notes
Fort Chambly National Historic Site (Lieu historique national du Fort-Chambly) is off Hwy. 10 exit 22 at 2 rue de Richelieu at jct. av. Bourgogne and rue Langevin, at the foot of the Richelieu River Rapids. This 1-hectare (2.5-acre) park contains one of several forts built here by the French. In 1665 Jacques de Chambly constructed a wooden fort on this site to subdue the Iroquois. Two other wooden forts followed before the French built a stone fort on the site to prevent a British invasion.
Taken by English troops in 1760, the fort was invaded by American troops in 1775 during the American Revolution and again in 1812 during the war with the United States. A British garrison occupied the fort sporadically during the 19th century until its final abandonment in 1860.
The restored fort appears as it did in 1750 when the Compagnie franche de la Marine was garrisoned here. Interpretive center displays explain the living conditions of the French garrison.
Picnicking is permitted. Time: Allow 1 hour, 30 minutes minimum.