Lachine Canal National Historic Site (Lieu historique national Canal-de-Lachine) runs 13.4 km (8 mi.) s.w. from the Old Port in Montréal, through LaSalle to lac St-Louis at Lachine. Dollier de Casson first had the idea to build a canal between Lachine and Montréal in 1680. Construction on the canal began in 1689 but ended with Casson's death in 1701. In the early 19th century, immigration and trade expansion made linking Lachine and Montréal a necessity, and the waterway was completed in 1825.
Closed in 1970, the canal reopened in 2002 for recreational use. A 12-kilometre (7.5-mi.) multipurpose path, hiking trails and picnic areas line the channel, creating many distinctive urban green spaces.
The visitor center at Lock No. 5 at Lachine has free exhibits about the canal's history. From mid-May to mid-October, interpretive boat tours are offered at the Atwater Quay; reservations are required.
Kayak and bicycle rentals are available in the Atwater-Charlevoix sector.
Guided tours are available. Recreational activities are permitted. Picnicking is permitted. Food is available.