AAA Editor Notes
Montréal Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal) encompasses four pavilions, with the main entrance at 1380 Sherbrooke St. W. (M: Guy-Concordia or Peel). Founded in 1860, this was one of the first public art galleries in Canada. The museum offers exhibitions from an extensive holding, some 36,000 objects representing the main trends in art from antiquity to the present day, and impressive temporary displays. The original 1912 Beaux Arts building and the Moshe Safdie-designed Jean-Noël Desmarais Pavilion, added in 1991, face each other and are connected by a network of underground exhibition galleries.
A renovation and expansion of an 1894 stone church produced the Claire and Marc Bourgie Pavilion of Québec and Canadian Art, which chronicles six historical periods through its 600-piece collection. Exhibited on six levels are works by Paul-Émile Borduas, Alfred Pellan and Jean-Paul Riopelle; notable Inuit artists; and the Group of Seven landscape painters. Featuring beautifully restored Tiffany stained glass windows, the historic portion of the structure encompasses the Bourgie Concert Hall, which offers programming by the Arte Musica Foundation, in residence at the museum, and other area music organizations.
At press time, a museum expansion to create the Pavilion of International Art was scheduled to be completed in late 2016 to mark the city’s 375th anniversary. It will house works by Old Masters, modern European art and a Napoleonic collection.
Guided tours are available. Food is available. Time: Allow 2 hours minimum.