AAA Editor Notes
Artillery Park Heritage Site (Site patrimonial du Parc de l'Artillerie), part of Fortifications of Québec National Historic Site, is at 2 rue d'Auteuil, just within the walls at Porte St-Jean. To protect the vulnerable St. Charles River area, by 1712 the French established the Dauphine Redoubt, a barracks for about 150 soldiers.
After the conquest in 1759, the British utilized the facilities to garrison their army. Numerous ancillary military installations were built during the 19th century. By 1871 the barracks were no longer needed and were converted into a munitions factory that was active until the end of World War II.
The richly furnished Officers' Quarters have an 1830s atmosphere. The Dauphine Redoubt depicts scenes from the lives of the soldiers, officers and arsenal superintendent who once occupied it.
Guided tours are available; narration in English is offered.
Guided tours are available.