AAA Editor Notes
Fortifications of Québec National Historic Site (Lieu historique national des Fortifications-de-Québec) encircle Upper Town. Covering 4.6 kilometres (3 mi.), the ramparts (les remparts) are vestiges of the city's defense system, which evolved between the 17th and 19th centuries. In addition to heavy fortifications studded with iron cannons, the national historic site includes such components as gates, guard posts and barracks.
Guided 90-minute tours detailing the fortifications' history depart from the Frontenac kiosk on the Dufferin Terrace from June 1 to mid-October. The park's interpretation center is an addition to the Esplanade Powder Magazine (Poudrière de l'Esplanade), built in 1815 near the St-Louis Gate at 100 rue St-Louis. Exhibits describe the evolution of the site over 3 centuries and include a relief map of Québec City in 1808.
Guided tours are available.