Notre-Dame Basilica-Cathedral of Québec (Basilique-Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Québec) is at 16 rue de Buade. The present church was erected in 1923 on the site where the city’s first chapel—built in 1633 by Samuel de Champlain—once stood. It features magnificent stained glass windows, a sanctuary lamp that was a gift from Louis XIV and three Casavant organs.
Under the cathedral, a crypt holds the remains of bishops, archbishops, cardinals and priests. Also of interest is the François-de-Laval Animation Centre, which offers exhibits about Québec’s first bishop, who is buried in the cathedral’s funeral chapel.