Mauvide-Genest Manor (Manoir Mauvide-Genest) is at 1451 ch. Royal on Île d'Orléans in the village of St-Jean. This mid-18th-century stone manor was built by a respected French surgeon and businessman named Jean Mauvide, who, at one time, operated Île d'Orléans' four mills and served as seigneur for half the island.
Descriptive panels detail the history of the house and the vicinity. An attractive New France-style garden also is on the grounds. Led by staff members in period costume, guided tours of the manor are available in either English or French.
Note: Although an elevator is available, the property is only partially handicap accessible; it lacks a reserved parking spot and level walkways and some areas are not easily accessible by wheelchair.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted.