AAA Editor Notes
Church and Convent of Santa Cruz (Iglesia y Convento de la Santa Cruz) is several blks. e. of the historic center at Calle Independencia and Calle Manuel Acuña. As many as 200 monks once lived in the mission compound, a well-preserved series of cloisters and cells complete with an orchard, a kitchen with a cold storage chamber, several schools and a water reservoir. According to legend, Franciscan missionary Fray Antonio Margil de Jesus buried a wooden walking stick in the orchard that grew into a tree with thorns in the shape of a cross.
The monastery also served as self-proclaimed emperor Maximilian's army barracks and, after defeat in 1867, his prison. The ashes of the heroine La Corregidora are encased in a monument behind the church.
Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.