Hill of the Bells (Cerro de las Campañas) is at the western end of downtown via Calle Miguel Hidalgo to Av. Tecnológico, then n. to Av. Justo Sierra. It was the site of Archduke Maximilian's last battle, and it was at this location that he was executed by a firing squad on June 19, 1867.
A monument erected by victorious Mexican rebels in honor of Benito Juárez, who defeated the ill-fated “Emperor of Mexico,” is at the top of a hill behind the Capilla de la Piedad. This neoclassic chapel, erected by the Austrian government in 1901, is dedicated to the would-be emperor. Stone markers mark the spots where Maximilian and his two Mexican generals, Miramón and Mejía, were executed.
The city's history is presented in the small Magic of the Past Museum (Museo La Magia del Pasado). The site also features large gardens with manicured trees and shrubs, a small lake, walking trails and playgrounds for kids; it's a pleasant place for an outdoor stroll. The name derives from rocks found in the region that, due to their metallic content, produce a vaguely bell-like sound when struck together.