AAA Editor Notes
San Gervasio is e. on the Carretera Transversal (Avenida Benito Juárez) to the well-marked San Gervasio turn-off, then n. 6.3 km (about 4 mi.) on a paved two-lane access road to the entrance gate. Not nearly as impressive architecturally as other archeological sites on the Yucatán Peninsula—Chichén Itzá this isn't—San Gervasio (san her-BAH-see-oh) was nevertheless inhabited for more than 1,000 years.
Bear left after walking through the site entrance and you'll come to Plaza Central. Nine spread-out structures sit low to the ground and are in various states of disrepair. From the back side of the plaza, take the well-marked, jungle-lined walking path that leads to Ka'Na Nah, a Post-Classic (1200-1650) temple reputedly built in dedication to the goddess Ixchel.
Another path leads east from Ka'Na Nah to Murcielagos, a building set deep in the jungle. Numerous iguanas sunning themselves on rocks offer good photo opportunities. A separate trail branching off to the left leads back to Plaza Central by way of Nohoch Nah. This boxy temple, set atop a stepped pyramid-like platform, is classic Mayan architecture—with the out-of-character addition of a screen door that has been installed across the front entrance.
A thatch-roofed entrance pavilion has restrooms, vendor stalls and a snack bar that sells bottled water and sodas. Information plaques in Spanish and English provide historical background. The structures are roped off and cannot be climbed.