AAA Editor Notes
International Tennis Hall of Fame Museum is at 194 Bellevue Ave. The museum is housed in the Newport Casino, a masterpiece of Victorian architecture constructed in 1880 as a social club for Newport society. The first U.S. National Lawn Tennis Championships, which evolved into today's U.S. Open, were held on the grounds in 1881. Today, the historic venue hosts the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships, which are held annually each July. Within the 7-acre complex are the 13 legendary grass courts, which are open to the public May through September.
The museum chronicles the sport’s history from its origins in the 13th century to today's professional tours via interactive exhibits, memorabilia, photographs, videos and exhibits portraying the players, the equipment and the rules of the game. Highlights of the 18 galleries include everything from the earliest known painting of tennis and an Andy Warhol original to Victorian tennis attire and the most-talked about fashions of Serena Williams.