House of Culture (Casa de la Cultura) is w. of the city center at Av. Carranza #1815. This neoclassic mansion was once the “country house” of wealthy Irish businessman Gerardo Meade Lewis and his Spanish wife Monica Joaquina Sainz-Trapaga. The building, which had former incarnations as a hotel and a school, features beautiful woodwork, ornate doors and window frames and a carved staircase railing.
Both permanent and temporary art exhibits are displayed. There also is a small room containing items related to the city's history. Exhibit information is in Spanish.