AAA Editor Notes
Aiken-Rhett House, 48 Elizabeth St., was built in 1820 by merchant John Robinson and then expanded by Gov. and Mrs. William Aiken, Jr. in the 1830s. Original outbuildings include the kitchen, slaves' quarters, stable, coach house and privies. A self-guiding audio tour describes the history of the conserved mansion, which contains art and furnishings purchased by the Aiken family.
Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.