AAA Editor Notes
Edmondston-Alston House overlooks Charleston Harbor at 21 E. Battery St. The house was built in the late Federal style about 1825 by Charles Edmondston, a wealthy merchant. After losing much of his fortune during the Great Panic of 1837, Edmondston sold the house in 1838 to Charles Alston.
Charles Alston made additions, including a third-floor piazza and a rooftop parapet, to transform the house into the Greek Revival style. The house is furnished with Alston family possessions, including books, documents, portraits, engravings, furniture, silver and porcelain. It also contains elaborate and unconventional woodwork.
Two Confederate generals visited the house in 1861: Gen. P.T. Beauregard witnessed Fort Sumter's bombardment from here on April 12 and Gen. Robert E. Lee boarded on Dec. 11 when a fire threatened his hotel.
Guided tours are available.