AAA Editor Notes
Huguenot Church (French Protestant), 136 Church St., is the last remaining independent Huguenot church in the nation. The first church on the site was erected in 1687 and the second was built in 1800. The present Gothic Revival building was designed by local architect Edward Brickell White and completed in 1845; it includes buttresses, arched windows and decorative details typical of the architectural style. Atypical is the use of iron instead of carved stone for the detail work.
For 150 years services were conducted in French, but English is now used. A French liturgy service is held each year in the spring.
Guided tours are available.